Wait…What?! BIPOC Women and Mental Health Recording
“Wait…What?!” is a platform for candid discussion for the Women’s Fund community to convene on emerging issues we all face, albeit with varied challenges.
Over the summer, conversations emerged about women of color and mental health. Athletes Simone Biles and Naomi Osaka chose to withdraw from competitions to address their own mental health issues. We wanted to continue the conversation, particularly with local women of color mental health providers.
This October Wait…What?! includes:
- The importance of seeking services and integrating mental health and self-care into a regular routine;
- Connections between generational trauma, grief and loss, carrying multiple responsibilities (including work and caregiving of others), anxiety, and depression;
- How to support others through their mental health and wellness journey;
- Insight on local resources specifically for BIPOC women and gender diverse folks;
- Barriers to seeking access to care including systemic oppression and concern for communal and familial shame.